Sunday, July 4, 2010

KK's KnEe iNjeCtiOn...

So I'm not sure if I have ever posted about this, but in January of 2009, Kaylin was diagnosed with Juvenille Rheumatoid Arthritis (JRA) in her right knee! In February 2009 she went to Primary Children's where they put her under for a little procedure...injecting the knee with a steroid and sucking all of the arthritis fluid out of her joint! Dr. Zeft told us that she has a 50% chance of it going into remission and not ever coming back (and if it does it will usually reappear within 6 months). She also has to see an eye doctor every 3 months for the next 4 years (JRA is linked to some kind of blindness if not carefully monitored). So...almost a year and a half went by with no signs of it returning! In April of this year I started noticing a little swelling and limping again so we scheduled an appointment while we were in UT! One, we felt so blessed to even get her in on such late notice! Two, the doctor was able to schedule another injection for her the following morning! What a wonderful blessing! We are not sure what this means for her in the future now that she is in that other 50%, but we feel so grateful to have it under control for the time being!
So here she is at Primary Children's on the morning of May 12th just coming out of the anesthesia! She was so hilarious and a little loopy! She kept telling me, "I feel kinda silly!" Then she whispered in my ear, "Mom, I kind of like it!"


Here she is picking out a bag of Cheetos and some water! She was talking nonstop to the nurses telling them story after story!! They were loving it!


After about 10 min. of feeling great, she all of the sudden started to lose some steam! I think the anesthesia was really starting to wear off by now and she was feeling a bit more tired! Not quite so talkative at this point!

So I got her out to the car and started driving back to my Grandma Janet's house. About 2 miles down the road, Kaylin told me her stomach was starting to hurt and before I knew it, she was throwing up cheetos in the back of the car! Of course I immediately pulled over, cleaned up the mess, and decided no more solid foods for a few hours! A few minutes later she asked me, "Why did it just shoot out of my mouth? And why couldn't I control it?" She is always so curious about things and wants to know "Why?" to everything! Anyway, we stuck to popsicles and gatorades and she did pretty well the rest of the day...what a brave girl!!!

No comments: